O que há de Novo?
Fórum Outer Space - O maior fórum de games do Brasil

Registre uma conta gratuita hoje para se tornar um membro! Uma vez conectado, você poderá participar neste site adicionando seus próprios tópicos e postagens, além de se conectar com outros membros por meio de sua própria caixa de entrada privada!

• Anunciando os planos GOLD no Fórum Outer Space
    Visitante, agora você pode ajudar o Fórum Outer Space e receber alguns recursos exclusivos, incluindo navegação sem anúncios e dois temas exclusivos. Veja os detalhes aqui.

Mr Bones

Lenda da internet
GOLD
Reações
Pontos
Sobre Scarlett tem de ficar para E3 de 2020 mesmo ou um evento proprio para isso. Ja revelaram bastante coisa.

Mas parece que o evento de amanhã vai render alguma coisa. Nao vai ser um b*sta total e fetida nivel Inside. Tem um cara que postou no Twitter que vai ter dois anúncios de relevância de jogos inéditos. Um projeto da Rare e da Obsidian.E ele tem bastante credibilidade. Sempre mostrou confiável.

Se isso se concretizar, sera o melhor evento da Microsoft dos ultimos 2 anos. Pois vai ter a anúncio de nova IP ou reboot de alguma antiga da Rare.

Agora espero que nao seja algo nível Bleding Edge... :kkk:kkk:kkk:kkk

OUTKAST

Mil pontos, LOL!
Reações
Pontos
X019: Expanding Project xCloud with More Games, More Ways to Play, and More Players

ProjectxCloud_EAasset_1920x1080_CMYK-preview.jpg

Today we crossed our one-month milestone for the Project xCloud preview. A huge thank you to participants in Korea, UK, & US for the incredibly valuable insights that help us shape the cloud gaming experience. We’ve loved hearing anecdotes about how Project xCloud has enabled you to play Xbox games on your phone or tablet in all sorts of unique places.

When we announced the Project xCloud preview back in September, we were just getting started and intended on bringing you more games, new features, and opportunities for even more players to join. Today, we are sharing more details on what you can expect now and in the future.

More Games: 50+ titles available in the Preview

Content is key for a great game streaming experience. With nearly two decades in the console space, we have developed strong relationships with creative partners across the industry who produce a wide variety of games. We also have 17 first-party studios continuing to create amazing games. It’s our fundamental belief that this content is available for gamers to play when and how they choose.

We’re excited to say that we’re adding more than 50 new titles from over 25 of our valued partners. Games such as “Madden NFL 20”, “Devil May Cry 5,” and “Tekken 7” are now in the Preview library. Check out the full list of titles here. This is another step in the journey, and we will continue to add more games over time.

ProjectxCloud_pubasset_1920x1080_CMYK-preview.jpg

More Ways to Play: Expanding device & input types

Mobile phones provide a fantastic on-the-go gaming experience, but our goal is to continue to provide people with even more ways to play. Next year, we’ll bring Project xCloud to Windows PCs, and are collaborating with a broad set of partners to make game streaming available on other devices as well.
Enabling people to play games on the device of their choice goes beyond a phone or tablet, it extends into how you control the game. In addition to using an Xbox One wireless controller, we’ll expand support to more Bluetooth controllers beginning next year, including the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller and game pads from Razer.

More Opportunities for Players around the World to get involved

Since beginning the preview, we’ve been sending out waves of invites to registered gamers, and today, we’re sending out additional invites so more people can experience Project xCloud. We will continue inviting more and more players over the course of the preview, so if you have not already registered, you can sign up here.

We will also bring Project xCloud Preview to more markets beginning in 2020, such as Canada, India, Japan, and Western Europe. Expanding to additional markets
over time is an important step in our journey to delight the 2 billion gamers in the world. We’ll have more details to share soon on when and how to register.

What’s ahead?

We believe that Project xCloud is a key component that will help us achieve our dream of gaming for everyone, everywhere in true Xbox style by…

• Partnering with the world’s best: Content developers/publishers, silicon designers, hardware manufacturers, mobile operators, distributors, and many others.
  • Doing it in the way that requires no work for the developers: The over 3,500 games on Xbox One today & 1,900 games currently in development are already working on xCloud.
  • Bringing along your friends, your achievements, your saved game, and your progression so that you don’t have to start over.
  • Combining our strengths in Content, Community, and Cloud with YOU, the gamer, at the center.

We believe in the freedom to play and the freedom to choose. In 2020 we will enable gamers to stream from the cloud Xbox games that they already own or will purchase. We will also add game streaming from the cloud to Xbox Game Pass. Gamers will be free to discover, choose, and play their favorite games anywhere and everywhere.

Thank you again to all who have partnered with us. It is an honor to create this experience and shape the game streaming future together. Please continue to share your feedback and enjoy the new content and features!

OUTKAST

Mil pontos, LOL!
Reações
Pontos

Microsoft isn’t going to repeat its mistakes from the Xbox One with its next-generation Xbox console. “I would say a learning from the Xbox One generation is we will not be out of position on power or price,” says Phil Spencer, Microsoft’s Xbox and gaming chief, in an interview with The Verge. “If you remember the beginning of this generation we were a hundred dollars more expensive and yes, we were less powerful. And we started Project Scarlett with this leadership team in place with a goal of having market success.”

That market success will be key for Xbox, after years of falling behind PlayStation sales and questions over its games lineup. Either way, Spencer thinks there are plenty of generations of Xbox ahead. “We had the discussion years ago ‘do we want to go do another generation?’ Yes, and do we think there will be multiple generations ahead of us? I actually think there probably is,” says Spencer. “So we’re going all in. We’re all-in on Project Scarlett and I want to compete, and I want to compete in the right ways which is why we’re focused on cross-play and backward compatibility.”

:kpensa

LudwigVonMises

Bam-bam-bam
Reações
Pontos
Scarlett é sucessor do Xbox One X.

O Xbox One X é mais poderoso e mais compacto que o PS4 Pro. O mesmo ocorrerá na próxima geração. Tenho dito.

OUTKAST

Mil pontos, LOL!
Reações
Pontos

In a newly published interview by Eurogamer, head of Xbox Phil Spencer confirms that Microsoft is not done acquiring new studios, and that it is especially interested in adding an Asian studio to its family of studios.

Xbox Game Studios currently consists of 15 studios, including Xbox Game Studios Publishing, Turn 10 Studios, 343 Industries, The Coalition, The Initiative, World’s Edge, Rare, Mojang, Ninja Theory, inXile Entertainment, Obsidian Entertainment, Compulsion Games, Undead Labs, Playground Games, and Double Fine. The latter seven studios were all acquired by Microsoft in 2018, except Double Fine which was acquired in 2019.

Here is the interview snippet:

You have 15 studios now. You’ve been on an impressive acquisition spree. Are you done now?

Phil Spencer:
“No!

“I do think we can sometimes get a little infatuated with putting a bunch of studio logos on a slide and that becomes the news. They’re not trading cards. They’re studios. And we want them to build great games. I love the fact we’re here announcing three new IP, two from our internal studios. As I look forward, there’s not a show I can look at where we’re not gonna be announcing new games, just because of the breadth of studios we have. It’s not really some kind of PR battle about how many new acquisitions we can put on stage. Because if we’re not building great games, the acquisitions don’t matter.

“But are we done? I don’t think so.”

You’re still on the hunt then?

Phil Spencer:
“Yeah. There are great creators out there. Our business continues to grow. The company is incredibly supportive of what we’re trying to build. Microsoft talks about gaming as a key pillar of its consumer interest and its strategy. We’re getting a tonne of support from Satya Nadella, Amy Hood, and the board. And we’re running a good business today, so we’ve earned the right to continue to look.”

What are you looking for?

Phil Spencer:
“I look at the geographic diversity of our studios. I love the fact we now have three studios here in the UK. You can go back decades… you could argue the U.K. is as strong as any country in terms of its impact on the history of video games. I love that we’re here in such strength. Now we have studios in Canada, studios in other parts of the U.S., I think we have a hole in Asia. I’ve said that both to [Xbox Game Studios head] Matt [Booty] and publicly. I would love to have more of an influence in our own first-party team from Asian creators. There’s nothing that’s imminent, so it’s not a pre-announce of something. But if you just plotted where we are on the map with our first-party, that’s a real opportunity for us.

“I love the fact we can stand here and announce Yakuza and Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy coming. That’s through third-party relationships, which take time. And we’ve been really focused on that. But I think we could have stronger first-party creation capability there. We have in the past and I think we should again.”

OUTKAST

Mil pontos, LOL!
Reações
Pontos
How Game Pass is transforming Xbox
Matt Booty on Microsoft's new approach to making games with subscription in mind

There are a lot of Xbox games in the works.

Halo, Ori, Age of Empires, Flight Simulator, Bleeding Edge, Battletoads, Everwild, Tell Me Why, Gears Tactics, Grounded... and there's more to be announced. Matt Booty, head of Xbox Game Studios, tells us that they'll be further reveals before Christmas and even more in early 2020.

"You will see one of the most exciting line-ups that we've had coming from Xbox Game Studios in as long as I can remember," he says confidently. "For the first time ever, we really have way more games than we know what to do with in terms of knowing when they'll be announced."

The reason behind this flurry of game activity is due to the number of new studios the company has acquired as it looks to strengthen its Game Pass subscription offering. Some of these studios are not what you'd describe as AAA developers, and in fact many of the games we listed above are smaller, more unusual offerings. Take the survival game Grounded, which is an Obsidian title but one developed by just 14 people...

Some of the titles seem quite risky, but Microsoft says that Game Pass eliminates some of that risk. There's no longer that worry whether gamers will be willing to spend $60 on a new title, and so the commercial pressures are reduced when choosing whether to commission something or not.

"Yeah. In general [that's true]," Booty tells us. "I'd just want to use a different word than commission. Our studios are very creator-led. But honestly, especially where we are right now, we have a very unique advantage that so many of our studio heads are very senior, very experienced, and very creator-led. We're really trying to stay out of the way and let them make the games that they want to make. And so it's for them to say: 'Hey, when I look at Game Pass, this is what I see'. They might see a game that can bring a bigger audience than they had before, or they see the ability to make a game that might be more built around community, because they know that the second that it goes into Game Pass they have this ready-made community of players. But that's really up for them to figure out."

Developers are independent to tell the stories they want to tell, too. One of the notable X019 announcements was Dontnod's Tell Me Why, which will be published by Microsoft. According to the release, it is the first big game from a major publisher to feature a transgender man in the lead role. However, Booty says that the project was always one that Xbox was eager to support, Game Pass or not.

"Dontnod came to us for the story of Tell Me Why," he explains. "It's a very compelling story and we love it. It's inclusive and it's got a take on a modern storyline. We wanted them to go make that game. Whether there's two people or two million people who will play it, we wanted to get behind it. Now what I think the advantage of Game Pass is here, is that an audience that might not have ever discovered that game or might not have been interested in it now will certainly have an almost frictionless ability to go check it out. From the beginning we were very supportive of Dontnod, regardless of subject matter. We also love that there's an inclusive aspect of that game. It wasn't like, 'Hey, we need to depend on Game Pass to justify that'. We would have supported them no matter what. However, I hope that Game Pass opens up a much bigger audience that'll be able to experience the game."

One thing that Game Pass is enabling developers to do, Booty says, is ignore business models. There's no need to worry about making sure there's enough content to justify a $60 price tag, or to worry about whether the game is built to generate revenue through microtransactions.

"Game Pass itself takes care of being the service and the platform so when we go to design a game, we don't need to be thinking about what our plan is to sustain this for three or four years," Booty explains. "We don't need to think about how we come up with a set of content updates so that this thing can run as a service, or whether we're going to be doing Fortnite-style updates every three weeks. It frees us from having to think about that.

"It allows our game creators to do what they do best, which is make a game. Whether that's Outer Worlds, where it's a standalone single-player game that's about 25 hours long, or a game like Bleeding Edge, which probably structurally looks closer to a free-to-play game. It has really freed us up from having to think about designing around a service or around a business model and being able to just design the games that the team wants to make."

But there are some considerations that need to go into making games for a subscription platform. One of the advantages of Game Pass (and services like it) is it makes titles accessible to different players. Because you're a subscriber, you may be tempted to give a strategy game a try even though you've never played one before. Or you might decide to try a new game in a long-running series because it was suddenly available.

This means developers ought to consider the fact that they might have an influx of first-time users into a genre or franchise.

"It certainly is something we think about with our games right now," Booty says.

"We call it the FTUE -- the first time user experience -- which is how do you bring people in? I think you'll see that in some of the work we're doing in things like Age of Empires. Age of Empires has been around for 30 years. The people that play it know every mechanic in their sleep, but if suddenly there's a new audience for Age of Empires that's never played it before, how do you bring them on board? There are game franchises that have been around for a while where, as a player, I've just seen they keep adding features every year, controller complexity every year... it almost gets to the point where I could barely sit down to start to play this game because it is so much more complicated than what I remember. That first 30-minute experience, that onboarding and tutorial is definitely something we're spending more time on these days."

Another good example, the firm says, is with Gears 5, which recapped the campaign, offered a robust tutorial, and even renamed the difficulty levels so that newcomers would understand what they meant. "This is all in the expectation that this is a Gears game that's launching into Game Pass and there would be even more people there on Day One."

Building a subscription service, however, is challenging. The reason Microsoft has acquired so many studios is because it needs to have a regular cadence of content that goes into Game Pass. It needs to keep its subscribers engaged and it needs to keep signing and developing new things. It's something Netflix has done to some success, but it's fair to say that the quality is not always consistent. With a pressure to keep releasing new things, should we expect Microsoft to be less willing to delay, or even cancel, projects that are not hitting the right quality bar?

"Right now, quality and curation is so important to us," he says. "I don't want Game Pass to become the place where half-finished or lower-quality games end up. Given some of the challenges we've had with some things coming out of Xbox Game Studios that may not have been at the quality level that we'd want, I think for the time being we're going to stay very focused on improving our execution and the quality of games that we make."

Xbox's effort to build a subscription platform has also seen a marked change in how it advertises. The Game Pass ads are all about the service itself, including the number of games and the promotional price. Compare that to Netflix, which runs marketing on the shows it's releasing and barely mentions the service at all.

"What's important to understand is that we are 18 months in on Game Pass," says Booty. "Netflix is over ten years old. If you were to go back and look at some of the things that Netflix did in their first two years, it's easy for people to forget now because it's been so long, but you couldn't turn around sideways without seeing a Netflix ad for this promotional offer, or that promotional offer... It was almost as bad as the AOL disk. I'd go pick up my chicken sandwich at the restaurant and it comes with a free AOL disk. Everything was about a free month of Netflix. I think that as a subscription service emerges and grows that there are different ways of promoting it at different times. We're just in a different phase. They have challenges that are different from what we have right now. There's so much talk about Disney Plus and they've got a world of challenges there. For us, we need to do the right marketing from where we are in the lifecycle of our subscription."

Whenever we speak to Microsoft at events like X019, it becomes increasingly clear that although things like its next console (Project Scarlett) and cloud streaming service (xCloud) are significant, Game Pass is the thing that is driving its business decisions. It was notable that at X019, Xbox announced two games that are releasing before its next-gen console, because it is vital that the firm keeps its Game Pass users engaged, more so than bolstering its Scarlett launch line-up.

"We feel confident about our content pipeline so that we feel we don't need to save everything up for that beat," Booty concludes.

"But what I'll also say is that today, when you launch a new device you are not eliminating all of the devices in that family to date. If I make a game for the iPhone, when the iPhone X comes out I can't just write it for the iPhone X and pretend as if the 9, 8, 7 and 6 don't exist.

"When Scarlett launches, there will still be the Xbox One S and Xbox One X out there. We really need to approach that family of devices in the same way that we approach PC, where the content scales to meet the device. That's going to be the case for anybody. It's not like, if we roll back the clock 15 years, when a new device was out and people wanted you to take your old device and just put it in the closet.

"We will absolutely lean in on the power of Scarlett. We think it's going to be the best way to play and it'll be the best thing to put in your living room. But we also want to understand that there will be a family of Xbox devices out there that we want to make sure we support fully."

OUTKAST

Mil pontos, LOL!
Reações
Pontos

Today Xbox UK released a new video interview with Microsoft’s Xbox Division head Phil Spencer.

While most of the questions focused on Spencer’s personal taste and history, one was quite interesting, asking the executive which genre be believes his platforms needs more of.

The answer focused on role-playing games.

“One of the things that I’m really proud of that I see now is how RPGs are stepping up for us.

Back in the day, when I think Mass Effect 1 which I worked on, Jade Empire, Fable… I remember we really staked out RPGs as something that was important.

Obviously first-person and third-person shooters have been strong, but it’s nice with Outer Worlds coming out, Wasteland… I think RPG is an area that we purposedly focused on and wanted to do more.

But it’s also, as we’re watching Xbox Game Pass grow and grow, we’re seeing more genres enter, and whether it’s genres that used to be popular and coming back or creators trying new things because they have an oudience that’s always there and they can think how to deliver stories to those people… But I do think RPG is an area that we should focus and I think X0 will be fun around that news as well.

If you’re interested in the full interview, you can watch it below.

OUTKAST

Mil pontos, LOL!
Reações
Pontos

Xbox Game Studios titles will aim to support Xbox Play Anywhere functions including cross-play, cross-buy, cross-saves and Achievements across Xbox One, Project Scarlett and Windows PC, Xbox head Phil Spencer told Stevivor at X019 in London.

At this past weekend’s event, Stevivor asked Spencer if a first-party title like Halo Infiniteconfirmed for Xbox One, Scarlett and PC — could be used across all three platforms as games including Gears 5 and Sea of Thieves are via Xbox Play Anywhere across Xbox One and Windows PC.

“That’s our goal,” Spencer said. “Our goal for our first-party games is that your entitlements will be cross-generation and your Achievements will move effectively with your save game because that’s where they stand.”

Spencer added that the transitionary period between Xbox One and Scarlett should be far more consumer-friendly than that between Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

“[Xbox] 360 to One shouldn’t have been [two self-contained silos] either,” Spencer asserted. “We talked about how important digital was going to be this generation, and yet we didn’t move the digital purchases that you’d made on 360 seamlessly over to Xbox One. I always thought that was a miss.”

xboxbackwardscompat.jpg

“When we did back compat, one of the things the team really focused on was you don’t have to re-buy the games,” Spencer said. “In fact, when back compat started working it was cool because just in your collection the 360 games would start showing up because you have the digital entitlement there. That’s the [Xbox] team just doing really good customer-centered work and I want us to continue like that.”

Spencer said he hopes the mentality Microsoft has toward cross-gen games will be adopted by third-party developers and publishers too.

“We think it’s a good thing that third-party games allow more players to play their games but it’s relationships with their parties. They own their content,” Spencer continued. “Just like some third-parties are in Game Pass and some are not and that’s their choice.

“I think for all of us the more a game can be the game and your players can play that game in the different places they want to play it and remain that their [save] state and everything is with them is a good thing.”

OUTKAST

Mil pontos, LOL!
Reações
Pontos
"People are using xCloud to create couch co-op"
Microsoft's xCloud leaders discuss what they've learned -- and still need to learn -- about game streaming

I feel for the manager who had to get the budget for xCloud signed off.

I can only imagine the answers to the chief financial officer's questions. How much money will it make? Not entirely sure. What's the business model? We're still working that out. What games will people play on it? Pass. Surely you know who the audience is? shrugs.

Yet streaming has been signed off, and some of the biggest companies in games are racing to find the answers to those questions. Xbox launched its streaming service in the UK, US and South Korea just over a month ago in a 'Preview' state, featuring just four games.

"It's really important to us that we're very open about what we're doing every step of the way," says general manager of Project xCloud Catherine Gluckstein. "We have Reddit threads open with our community. We kicked off Preview in three countries for very particular reasons. The US and UK are obviously mature Xbox markets, but we wanted to look at what it took to extend gameplay. And then South Korea is a market leader in telcos. We're partnering there with SK Telecom to really look at the possibilities of 5G and also the potential of a market which isn't a traditional console market but a very big PC gaming market...

"We started small. We started with four first-party games, and now we have 50 games playable in Preview and we're going to be inviting many more people to join us. We're taking Preview to Canada, to Western Europe, to Japan and to India. Japan is a very big console gaming market, but not traditionally a big market for Xbox. It's interesting to see how we play within that. With India today, there are more people who play games in India than the population of the US -- about 300 million. It's a huge gaming market, but not one we've played in before. It's a really interesting place for us to go and learn.

"We're working with a tonne of partners to bring Project xCloud to every device. With the games, what we've tried to choose -- because this is a really interesting paradigm with cloud gaming -- is a broad variety of games to understand the gameplay changes when people stream content. Do they play for different lengths of time? Do they want to play different types of games?"

There are lots of things still to work out in terms of games, territories, pricing and interest. But one month in, what has the xCloud team discovered already?

"We've learnt a lot of things on the tech side," reveals Kareem Choudhry, corporate vice president of Gaming Cloud at Microsoft. "My favourite one was when we launched in our preview, we started noticing that some of our Xbox Live anti-cheat detection was triggering. It turns out that because you're playing on a console that's housed in a data centre, its ping time to the server is incredibly low -- sometimes 0ms. And the algorithms we've made to detect cheating over the years see that as something that shouldn't happen. It was never before realistic for a client to have a 0ms ping time. We had to go in and update some of our anti-cheat detection."

Gluckstein adds: "The UK south data centre has been our busiest data centre of all the markets that we're serving. The key time that people are playing is interestingly between eight and ten at night. You see things you didn't necessarily expect. With new people coming in, we've seen terrific engagement with people new to the Xbox ecosystem and the levels of play are on par with something we'd see from traditional Xbox users."

Choudhry again: "Sea of Thieves [one of the games in Preview] doesn't support couch co-op. People in the programme are using Project xCloud to create a couch co-op experience. When I'm playing at home, one of my kids is playing on Xbox One X, another is on my Surface Book 2 and I'm sat right next to them on Project xCloud. We're all in the same room playing together. A good percentage of the love notes we've received have been about someone else in the household monopolising a TV yet they can now still play."

How xCloud can augment the experience for existing Xbox players is certainly intriguing. This group of people will most likely be using the service at the start. But the real excitement, as Xbox chief Phil Spencer told us back in June, is the prospect of unlocking new territories like India and South Korea. Gluckstein says Microsoft will keep exploring these sectors, and the key metric is to find out how much time these people will be spending with games via xCloud.

"One of the things we're really looking at in Preview is just the amount of engagement we see," she says. "In a more mature market like the US or UK, we can look across our ecosystem and see that a player in Preview who is playing Halo 5 is playing about two thirds of their time on console and one third on cloud. Obviously, when we get to a country like India, that will be a little bit different as we don't have that kind of history.

"It really comes down to engagement. We really think that engagement is one of the first indicators that we're onto something successful. In India, we'll be thinking a lot about whether we're going to test on a mobile phone or whether we're going to test on PC or whatever, and really defining it around those."

This will be a multi-year journey for Microsoft, and the xCloud team will be prioritising its time when trialing these new ideas.

"We're taking a long-term approach," Choudhry explains. "We've done something very similar in the console where we deploy new console updates to a set of consumers and then we get their feedback. For us, it's more important that we get this correct, so we're going to do it in an open and transparent way. We started four weeks ago with four games in three markets. Today there's over 50 games. It's an ever-expanding model."

Another area the xCloud team is having to study is controls. Xbox has expanded the number of controllers that can be used with xCloud, including the PlayStation Dualshock 4. That move in particular seems like a savvy one, as the PS4 pad exists in some 100 million households worldwide. Yet the potential for cloud gaming is to win over consumers who don't have a console at all. The kind of people who don't own a controller, or may not even know how to use one.

"It is something we think about a lot," Gluckstein says. "Right now in Preview, we're live with the [Xbox] controller but we are looking at what touch controls would look like. There's a lot of work around that. We also put the API out to the development community because we think that's where the real genius is going to come in terms of how they build games. All over we're having to think in different ways than we have about our community.

"We've had touch controls up and running on some of these games for many months, we just didn't feel they were at a point we wanted to roll them out. We will bring them."

Xcloudasset.jpg

Choudhry continues: "What we'll probably do is take more of a platform approach where we can generically map a controller to touch controls while at the same time leveraging our heritage with the game development community to enable them to say what touch controls they want in their game. The system we've set up is something they're able to work on without having to modify their game as well. It all happens on the client. They don't have to crack open the bits or redevelop the game.

"The other thing I'll say is, I watch my kids and they can type an email on their phone better than I can on a keyboard and I'm just blown away. The fact that a controller mapped to touch controls is something that doesn't work for me personally... if you think about a country like some parts of the continent of Africa, that population is very youthful and they're smartphone first and only. What's normal and acceptable for us is going to change over time, too."

Gluckstein again: "That's one of the fascinations of cloud gaming, is that it changes these paradigms."

And not just with controls. Choudhry believes that there will be a number of things developers will want to do to make their games better suited to the streaming environment.

"I've been working in gaming for about 20 years and what I've noticed is that every technological advancement results in two things: firstly, an explosion and diversity of content that takes advantage of that new technological base, and two, just a proliferation of diversity of business models.

"To get a little bit more longer term on our strategy, we're starting a lift and shift at taking the content that works phenomenally well on our console, putting it into the data centres and making it streamable without any additional development work required. We do it all for the IP owners.

"The next evolution is really something that we call 'cloud aware', where we've all put in the APIs and SDKs so the game can query: 'Am I streaming? What device am I streaming to? How big is this screen?' If they wanted to they can make on the fly adjustments, like changing font sizes or putting some of their latency mitigation code from the multiplayer stack over to the input stack.

"Then eventually the place we get to is this notion of being a cloud native game, one that runs holistically in the cloud and then streams to multiple endpoints. That's the arc that we're on right now and we're starting with a platform that supports over 3,000 games that run over Xbox today."

Microsoft believes it is well placed to be the leader in this space. When asked about the competition, Choudhry didn't name anyone, but he states how important a legacy of content will be in winning over consumers -- content that only established games companies can provide.

"We're more focused on the customers and what we can do for them than we are looking over our shoulder," he concludes. "We really think the key ingredients are the three Cs -- content, community and cloud. We have a phenomenal first-party cloud in Azure, 54 regions in 30 or 40 countries... that distribution and reach is an incredible asset. We have the content library, both first-party and third-party in the Game Pass subscription. And we've got the vibrant multiplayer community already.

"Any company that wants to be successful in the streaming space, I believe they're going to need significant investment, history, heritage and success across all three of those at the same time and combine them in the right way. I like our position."

Mr Bones

Lenda da internet
GOLD
Reações
Pontos
Microsoft's xCloud leaders discuss what they've learned -- and still need to learn -- about game streaming

I can only imagine the answers to the chief financial officer's questions. How much money will it make? Not entirely sure. What's the business model? We're still working that out. What games will people play on it? Pass. Surely you know who the audience is? shrugs.

Yet streaming has been signed off, and some of the biggest companies in games are racing to find the answers to those questions. Xbox launched its streaming service in the UK, US and South Korea just over a month ago in a 'Preview' state, featuring just four games.

"It's really important to us that we're very open about what we're doing every step of the way," says general manager of Project xCloud Catherine Gluckstein. "We have Reddit threads open with our community. We kicked off Preview in three countries for very particular reasons. The US and UK are obviously mature Xbox markets, but we wanted to look at what it took to extend gameplay. And then South Korea is a market leader in telcos. We're partnering there with SK Telecom to really look at the possibilities of 5G and also the potential of a market which isn't a traditional console market but a very big PC gaming market...

"We started small. We started with four first-party games, and now we have 50 games playable in Preview and we're going to be inviting many more people to join us. We're taking Preview to Canada, to Western Europe, to Japan and to India. Japan is a very big console gaming market, but not traditionally a big market for Xbox. It's interesting to see how we play within that. With India today, there are more people who play games in India than the population of the US -- about 300 million. It's a huge gaming market, but not one we've played in before. It's a really interesting place for us to go and learn.

"We're working with a tonne of partners to bring Project xCloud to every device. With the games, what we've tried to choose -- because this is a really interesting paradigm with cloud gaming -- is a broad variety of games to understand the gameplay changes when people stream content. Do they play for different lengths of time? Do they want to play different types of games?"

There are lots of things still to work out in terms of games, territories, pricing and interest. But one month in, what has the xCloud team discovered already?

"We've learnt a lot of things on the tech side," reveals Kareem Choudhry, corporate vice president of Gaming Cloud at Microsoft. "My favourite one was when we launched in our preview, we started noticing that some of our Xbox Live anti-cheat detection was triggering. It turns out that because you're playing on a console that's housed in a data centre, its ping time to the server is incredibly low -- sometimes 0ms. And the algorithms we've made to detect cheating over the years see that as something that shouldn't happen. It was never before realistic for a client to have a 0ms ping time. We had to go in and update some of our anti-cheat detection."

Gluckstein adds: "The UK south data centre has been our busiest data centre of all the markets that we're serving. The key time that people are playing is interestingly between eight and ten at night. You see things you didn't necessarily expect. With new people coming in, we've seen terrific engagement with people new to the Xbox ecosystem and the levels of play are on par with something we'd see from traditional Xbox users."

Choudhry again: "Sea of Thieves [one of the games in Preview] doesn't support couch co-op. People in the programme are using Project xCloud to create a couch co-op experience. When I'm playing at home, one of my kids is playing on Xbox One X, another is on my Surface Book 2 and I'm sat right next to them on Project xCloud. We're all in the same room playing together. A good percentage of the love notes we've received have been about someone else in the household monopolising a TV yet they can now still play."

How xCloud can augment the experience for existing Xbox players is certainly intriguing. This group of people will most likely be using the service at the start. But the real excitement, as Xbox chief Phil Spencer told us back in June, is the prospect of unlocking new territories like India and South Korea. Gluckstein says Microsoft will keep exploring these sectors, and the key metric is to find out how much time these people will be spending with games via xCloud.

"One of the things we're really looking at in Preview is just the amount of engagement we see," she says. "In a more mature market like the US or UK, we can look across our ecosystem and see that a player in Preview who is playing Halo 5 is playing about two thirds of their time on console and one third on cloud. Obviously, when we get to a country like India, that will be a little bit different as we don't have that kind of history.

"It really comes down to engagement. We really think that engagement is one of the first indicators that we're onto something successful. In India, we'll be thinking a lot about whether we're going to test on a mobile phone or whether we're going to test on PC or whatever, and really defining it around those."

This will be a multi-year journey for Microsoft, and the xCloud team will be prioritising its time when trialing these new ideas.

"We're taking a long-term approach," Choudhry explains. "We've done something very similar in the console where we deploy new console updates to a set of consumers and then we get their feedback. For us, it's more important that we get this correct, so we're going to do it in an open and transparent way. We started four weeks ago with four games in three markets. Today there's over 50 games. It's an ever-expanding model."

Another area the xCloud team is having to study is controls. Xbox has expanded the number of controllers that can be used with xCloud, including the PlayStation Dualshock 4. That move in particular seems like a savvy one, as the PS4 pad exists in some 100 million households worldwide. Yet the potential for cloud gaming is to win over consumers who don't have a console at all. The kind of people who don't own a controller, or may not even know how to use one.

"It is something we think about a lot," Gluckstein says. "Right now in Preview, we're live with the [Xbox] controller but we are looking at what touch controls would look like. There's a lot of work around that. We also put the API out to the development community because we think that's where the real genius is going to come in terms of how they build games. All over we're having to think in different ways than we have about our community.

"We've had touch controls up and running on some of these games for many months, we just didn't feel they were at a point we wanted to roll them out. We will bring them."

Xcloudasset.jpg

Choudhry continues: "What we'll probably do is take more of a platform approach where we can generically map a controller to touch controls while at the same time leveraging our heritage with the game development community to enable them to say what touch controls they want in their game. The system we've set up is something they're able to work on without having to modify their game as well. It all happens on the client. They don't have to crack open the bits or redevelop the game.

"The other thing I'll say is, I watch my kids and they can type an email on their phone better than I can on a keyboard and I'm just blown away. The fact that a controller mapped to touch controls is something that doesn't work for me personally... if you think about a country like some parts of the continent of Africa, that population is very youthful and they're smartphone first and only. What's normal and acceptable for us is going to change over time, too."

Gluckstein again: "That's one of the fascinations of cloud gaming, is that it changes these paradigms."

And not just with controls. Choudhry believes that there will be a number of things developers will want to do to make their games better suited to the streaming environment.

"I've been working in gaming for about 20 years and what I've noticed is that every technological advancement results in two things: firstly, an explosion and diversity of content that takes advantage of that new technological base, and two, just a proliferation of diversity of business models.

"To get a little bit more longer term on our strategy, we're starting a lift and shift at taking the content that works phenomenally well on our console, putting it into the data centres and making it streamable without any additional development work required. We do it all for the IP owners.

"The next evolution is really something that we call 'cloud aware', where we've all put in the APIs and SDKs so the game can query: 'Am I streaming? What device am I streaming to? How big is this screen?' If they wanted to they can make on the fly adjustments, like changing font sizes or putting some of their latency mitigation code from the multiplayer stack over to the input stack.

"Then eventually the place we get to is this notion of being a cloud native game, one that runs holistically in the cloud and then streams to multiple endpoints. That's the arc that we're on right now and we're starting with a platform that supports over 3,000 games that run over Xbox today."

Microsoft believes it is well placed to be the leader in this space. When asked about the competition, Choudhry didn't name anyone, but he states how important a legacy of content will be in winning over consumers -- content that only established games companies can provide.

"We're more focused on the customers and what we can do for them than we are looking over our shoulder," he concludes. "We really think the key ingredients are the three Cs -- content, community and cloud. We have a phenomenal first-party cloud in Azure, 54 regions in 30 or 40 countries... that distribution and reach is an incredible asset. We have the content library, both first-party and third-party in the Game Pass subscription. And we've got the vibrant multiplayer community already.

"Any company that wants to be successful in the streaming space, I believe they're going to need significant investment, history, heritage and success across all three of those at the same time and combine them in the right way. I like our position."
Muito top este xCloud. Junto com o Gamepass esta porra tem um potencial imenso de captar novos consumidores para Microsoft.

Agora torcer para nao relegar o Project Scarlett fazendo um hardware meia boca achando que xCloud vai suprir esta falha. Espero que Kareem Choudhry e toda sua equipe façam um bom trabalho no Scarlett como fizeram com o One X.

LudwigVonMises

Bam-bam-bam
Reações
Pontos
Muito top este xCloud. Junto com o Gamepass esta porra tem um potencial imenso de captar novos consumidores para Microsoft.

Agora torcer para nao relegar o Project Scarlett fazendo um hardware meia boca achando que xCloud vai suprir esta falha. Espero que Kareem Choudhry e toda sua equipe façam um bom trabalho no Scarlett como fizeram com o One X.

Sobre o Scarlett, o tio Phil disse para ninguém se preocupar, está sendo feito pela mesma equipe que fez o X. Não tem como dar errado.

Batman-X

Bam-bam-bam
Reações
Pontos
Espero que usem o mesmo sistema de refrigeração do XBox One X com sua RX580. Mas espero que venha em um gabinete maior e com fonte externa. Igual ao Xbox One original. Mas acho difícil que façam isso. Infelizmente.

Mega_X

Ei mãe, 500 pontos!
Reações
Pontos

Xcloudasset.jpg

Sou muito cético quanto a esse poder da nuvem, já cagaram no Xone pq sonharam um dia suprir toda defasagem do sistema com processamento em nuvem que nunca aconteceu. No máximo otimizações pontuais nas IA dos Forzas.

OUTKAST

Mil pontos, LOL!
Reações
Pontos

Xbox Game Studios wrapped its latest "X019" event with over one dozen scheduled titles on the 2020 roster, as Microsoft steadily scales for the next generation, demonstrating a nurtured first-party output. That follows a busy two years for its in-house talent acquisition, tackling criticisms of the Xbox One lineup with nine new studios. Through back-to-back purchases of Obsidian Entertainment and Playground Games, and creating newly established new internal labels, Redmond has bolstered its lineup into Project Scarlett.

It's been a time of change for Xbox – and we caught up with Xbox Game Studios head, Matt Booty, exploring how it's laying the groundwork for the next decade.

Wrapping a year of change for Xbox Game Studios

Booty opened X019 with a clear message, detailing a shifting focus from "acquisition and growth," into a phase of "execution and delivery." An over-doubled pool of 15 first-party developers now supports its content portfolio, kicking off in early 2020 with Bleeding Edge, Wasteland 3, and Grounded, all from newly-acquired studios. And while Microsoft stresses later acquisitions aren't off the table, he describes an environment to better support those creative arms."It's not meant to be a statement about forever or changing strategy; it's just that acquiring these studios takes a fair amount of work, right? We want to make sure that when the studios come in, that they're well supported with the resources they need, that they're connected to the right people," Booty tells Windows Central. "And for a smaller studio, like a Double Fine or an inXile, it can be a little overwhelming, coming in and being part of Microsoft.""[Y]ou've been an indie studio for over two decades, and you're very busy out looking for what your next publishing deal is, what the next game is. You kind of get into a rhythm, and then we come along and say, 'Okay, all that's done, now we just want you to work on the game.' It's easy for them to just get a little bit out of kilter and just a little bit off balance."

"Multiple unannounced projects that we haven't even talked about yet going on, particularly with our publishing team."

That internal realization preludes a packed annual roadmap, set to debut its vision for the next-generation, and expand the platform in new spaces. "[W]e're coming up on stretch here where we got Scarlett coming up, or xCloud picking up momentum. We've got Game Pass continuing to pick up. So I think it's just, right now, the right time to make sure that we put a lot of our energy on delivering the games on production, making sure that all the studios are now often working on the next thing.

"There's notable diversity across Xbox Game Studios in X019, extending to the growth of its publishing efforts, where Booty also expects to make strides over the year to come. "I think all of the studios have got things teed up. We have got multiple unannounced projects that we haven't even talked about yet going on, particularly with our publishing team." Each Xbox Game Studio subsidiary has roadmaps tailored to their heritage, promising strong output as Project Scarlett looms. "We've got Halo that is deep in production to launch a new Halo with Scarlett's launch. We've got all of our studios working on what their next thing is. I think you're going to see more news before the end of the year with some stuff we haven't talked about."

yakuza-0-pc.jpg

Microsoft has radically reshaped its first-party investments at the tail end of Xbox One, onboarding its broadest range of studios. As Booty highlights, it hosts western studios of all sizes, from the hundreds at 343 Industries to the few dozen at Compulsion Games. And with Microsoft pushing Yakuza and Final Fantasy as the next stars of Xbox Game Pass, I ask whether Xbox sees value in acquiring Asian developers, given the creative and cultural diversity.

"I think that is definitely just an overarching goal of ours all together, is how do we just get more diversity and [there are] different kinds of diversity, right? There's diversity of kinds of games, but as you pointed out, there's diversity, I'll call it geodiversity. One of the beautiful things about games that, like movies and books and music, is that where it comes from influences it. Music that comes from South America is different than music that comes from Western Europe. And games that come from Japan, you have a different style and sensibility than the games that come from Europe."

"It's definitely our goal to try to make sure that we've got a representation of content from around the world."

It's an area for clear improvement given Microsoft's U.S. and UK-centric teams, especially in contrast to the nearest console rival, PlayStation. The in-house SIE Worldwide Studios collective has cultivated an acclaimed lineup this decade, backed by the talent of a broader geographical spread. "I think it's definitely our goal to try to make sure that we've got a representation of content from around the world," said Booty. "I won't say that we're the best at that right now, but it's definitely a goal of ours."

Microsoft hasn't dropped hints of any planned Asian acquisitions, although alludes to expanding its reach with Xbox Game Studios Publishing. It hasn't had the best run with Japanese teams, epitomized with the infamous Scalebound project with PlatinumGames, which was canceled after failing to meet expectations. And as seen with its upcoming Dontnod collaboration, increased publishing output could further welcome Asian content.

"That is one of the reasons that we have a publishing team. So that it lets us work with developers who wish to remain independent, but we can still bring that content exclusive to Xbox. 'Tell Me Why' by Dontnod is a great example of that. That is a first-party game. It was a game that's being done under the Xbox Game Studios umbrella. It's just that we're working with Dontnod to develop it, but it will be exclusive to Xbox, it is an Xbox Game Studios game."

"If you've got bigger developers, particularly in other countries outside the U.S. and outside the UK, where even acquisition might not even be a possibility, but we want to work with them, that's where publishing is a great tool for us."

How Xbox Game Pass is evolving the creative process

Xbox Game Studios has grown in parallel to Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass subscription, increasingly core to its supporting software and services. Over 100 games for a flat monthly fee provides an enticing Netflix-style proposition, inclusive of all first-party titles on launch day, extending to third-party deals. It lies central to modern
Xbox One marketing, shaking up digital distribution with recurring revenue streams, while further supported by traditional game sales.

The push for Xbox Game Pass also brings an internal shift to development, as Microsoft sets out to draw players with a high-value proposal, securing regular income from those who stay. And according to the Xbox Game Studios lead, it allows Microsoft to evolve its approach to design, alleviating pressure to shoehorn services that support their lifetime. The concept could let titles be self-sustainable from launch, rather than designed around drawing additional spending.

"Because Game Pass is a service itself, and it is a community itself, we don't need the game to do all that. So when we sit down to make a game, they don't have to think, 'How is this game going to be an ongoing service? How do I design a game that can run for two to three years? What is the monetization method?' Game Pass provides all that. So the game team can just focus on what is the game going to be."

Booty expands, attributing an increased line of self-contained or smaller-scale experiences to the support of Xbox Game Pass. "That's why you can see games like Grounded or The Outer Worlds, which are really standalone games that live by themselves, all the way to something like Bleeding Edge. Which if you look at it, really starts to look like a free-to-play game, but we don't have to worry how to solve that free-to-play problem inside of Game Pass."

everwild-reveal-screenshot-4.jpg

Microsoft also advocates for the discoverability Xbox Game Pass offers, promoting regular library additions to users, and pushing titles like Gears 5 to three million users in week one. "Game Pass just brings an audience that is able to discover these games without friction. Whether it's a game like The Outer Worlds or a game like Grounded, those are two great examples from the same studio. If I'm in Game Pass, it's this exact same process for me to get and play both games. And so I think I'm much more likely to try something that I might not have tried before because there's just really no barrier to getting at it."

"I think that we will be doing a share of single-player narrative games"

With Xbox Game Pass steering Microsoft into the next generation, will that backing help the firm take more creative risks? "The amount of risk that goes into things; I would say that creating new IP is always inherently risky," said Booty. That comes after the unveiling of two new Xbox franchises at X019, from Obsidian's Grounded to the mysterious Everwild teaser. Both explore unproven territory under the Xbox Game Studios banner, slated for launch-day Game Pass inclusion.

"It's probably one of the riskiest things about games, and it's part of the industry that I love. But we're in a creative business, and it's the same as music and movies and books. So you're going to take risks, and some things are going to hit and land, and they're going to be great. And some things are going to hit and maybe find a smaller audience. But I think when it comes to taking the risk of coming up with new ideas or a new kind of game, I do think that it opens up some doors for us."

And on reviving those legacy Xbox franchises, think Banjo Kazooie to Perfect Dark, Booty states Microsoft remains open but cautious when revisiting projects. "We've done things like that before with things like Killer Instinct and Crackdown. I think it's interesting sometimes, the nostalgia for a title is maybe bigger than actually— people remember it better than it was, right? But we're lucky to have a big library of IP that we can pull from. And it's something that we're always looking at."

the-outer-worlds-pavarti-companion.jpg

But regardless of new properties, Xbox Game Studios participates in a highly-competitive space. The past few years saw Sony execute the single-player vision to beat, while Nintendo embraced its beloved core series. Microsoft Studios saw its share of successes, though it suffered an identity crisis while chasing services. It's finally back on track with the rebrand. And when asked which philosophies Booty hopes to translate to Xbox Game Studios, he affirmed commitment to narrative-driven single-player entries.

"I think that we will be doing a share of single-player narrative games. I think about some things you mentioned, Uncharted, God of War, right? But again, I'll come back to [that] we are very creator-led, and I think it's going to be up to our studios to decide how much they want to go in a certain direction. Even a game like Halo, which of course has a campaign and has multiplayer, that balance between those two, how much of each comes into the game? It's really up to the Halo team to decide."

Preparing Xbox Game Studios for what comes next

Microsoft is expected to conclude 2020 with the launch of Xbox Project Scarlett, its next-generation console bringing the latest graphical enhancements. Details remain tight outside of promise of up to 8K and 4K 120Hz capabilities, accompanied by hardware-backed ray tracing, and faster solid-state drive storage. But it's not the first hardware upgrade since Xbox One launched in 2013, after the Xbox One X and its mid-generation leap to 4K resolution.

The Xbox One X might lead the console family today, although it launched with a limited games lineup. The only first-party launch title was Super Lucky's Tale, with Forza Motorsport 7 released one month prior. The console otherwise relied heavily on remastered titles. But with Halo Infinite launching beside Project Scarlett, has Microsoft learned the value of first-party over these years?

"I think, obviously, it helps, right? If somebody invests in a new console, they want to know that [there are] great games to play," said Booty. "I think the more that we can show that there's great content, the better. I think an advantage that we've got, is that because we're able to run content across the Xbox family, all the way from Xbox One S to an X, and then up to Scarlett, all of that content will come along. It's why we've invested so much in back [compatibility]."

xbox-project-scarlett-hardware.jpg

Booty also provides his expectations for Xbox Project Scarlett and how those advancements may be reflected across Xbox Game Studios or broader Xbox platform offerings. "I think we're going to hit a point with this generation of consoles coming up, where the technology starts to be more transparent to the player. If you think back to early consoles, there's even the idea of 8-bit graphics. The technology influenced the art style so much that there's this phrase '8-bit graphics' because everything on that console is going to look like that."

With Project Scarlett, "technology starts to be more transparent to the player"

"I think that with Scarlett, we're going to get into a situation where, if you want to go make a photorealistic game, you'll make a photorealistic game. You want to make a game that's heavily stylized, like what we saw with games in our ID@Xbox program like The Artful Escape. If you want to make something that's kind of in between those two like Ori, which is like visually beautiful but represents a more stylized, fantastical reality, great, go make that."

As Microsoft wraps the year, X019 highlighted the product of increased commitment to Xbox Game Studios. It comes as ideal timing, with Project Scarlett primed on the horizon, further elevating hardware offerings, while Project xCloud explores a new avenue in the mobile space. And while Microsoft remains coy on what next-generation platforms will deliver, it's already mapped out a drastically improved roadmap for 2020.

Craudiao

Ei mãe, 500 pontos!
Reações
Pontos

Xbox Game Studios wrapped its latest "X019" event with over one dozen scheduled titles on the 2020 roster, as Microsoft steadily scales for the next generation, demonstrating a nurtured first-party output. That follows a busy two years for its in-house talent acquisition, tackling criticisms of the Xbox One lineup with nine new studios. Through back-to-back purchases of Obsidian Entertainment and Playground Games, and creating newly established new internal labels, Redmond has bolstered its lineup into Project Scarlett.

It's been a time of change for Xbox – and we caught up with Xbox Game Studios head, Matt Booty, exploring how it's laying the groundwork for the next decade.

Wrapping a year of change for Xbox Game Studios

Booty opened X019 with a clear message, detailing a shifting focus from "acquisition and growth," into a phase of "execution and delivery." An over-doubled pool of 15 first-party developers now supports its content portfolio, kicking off in early 2020 with Bleeding Edge, Wasteland 3, and Grounded, all from newly-acquired studios. And while Microsoft stresses later acquisitions aren't off the table, he describes an environment to better support those creative arms."It's not meant to be a statement about forever or changing strategy; it's just that acquiring these studios takes a fair amount of work, right? We want to make sure that when the studios come in, that they're well supported with the resources they need, that they're connected to the right people," Booty tells Windows Central. "And for a smaller studio, like a Double Fine or an inXile, it can be a little overwhelming, coming in and being part of Microsoft.""[Y]ou've been an indie studio for over two decades, and you're very busy out looking for what your next publishing deal is, what the next game is. You kind of get into a rhythm, and then we come along and say, 'Okay, all that's done, now we just want you to work on the game.' It's easy for them to just get a little bit out of kilter and just a little bit off balance."

"Multiple unannounced projects that we haven't even talked about yet going on, particularly with our publishing team."

That internal realization preludes a packed annual roadmap, set to debut its vision for the next-generation, and expand the platform in new spaces. "[W]e're coming up on stretch here where we got Scarlett coming up, or xCloud picking up momentum. We've got Game Pass continuing to pick up. So I think it's just, right now, the right time to make sure that we put a lot of our energy on delivering the games on production, making sure that all the studios are now often working on the next thing.

"There's notable diversity across Xbox Game Studios in X019, extending to the growth of its publishing efforts, where Booty also expects to make strides over the year to come. "I think all of the studios have got things teed up. We have got multiple unannounced projects that we haven't even talked about yet going on, particularly with our publishing team." Each Xbox Game Studio subsidiary has roadmaps tailored to their heritage, promising strong output as Project Scarlett looms. "We've got Halo that is deep in production to launch a new Halo with Scarlett's launch. We've got all of our studios working on what their next thing is. I think you're going to see more news before the end of the year with some stuff we haven't talked about."

yakuza-0-pc.jpg

Microsoft has radically reshaped its first-party investments at the tail end of Xbox One, onboarding its broadest range of studios. As Booty highlights, it hosts western studios of all sizes, from the hundreds at 343 Industries to the few dozen at Compulsion Games. And with Microsoft pushing Yakuza and Final Fantasy as the next stars of Xbox Game Pass, I ask whether Xbox sees value in acquiring Asian developers, given the creative and cultural diversity.

"I think that is definitely just an overarching goal of ours all together, is how do we just get more diversity and [there are] different kinds of diversity, right? There's diversity of kinds of games, but as you pointed out, there's diversity, I'll call it geodiversity. One of the beautiful things about games that, like movies and books and music, is that where it comes from influences it. Music that comes from South America is different than music that comes from Western Europe. And games that come from Japan, you have a different style and sensibility than the games that come from Europe."

"It's definitely our goal to try to make sure that we've got a representation of content from around the world."

It's an area for clear improvement given Microsoft's U.S. and UK-centric teams, especially in contrast to the nearest console rival, PlayStation. The in-house SIE Worldwide Studios collective has cultivated an acclaimed lineup this decade, backed by the talent of a broader geographical spread. "I think it's definitely our goal to try to make sure that we've got a representation of content from around the world," said Booty. "I won't say that we're the best at that right now, but it's definitely a goal of ours."

Microsoft hasn't dropped hints of any planned Asian acquisitions, although alludes to expanding its reach with Xbox Game Studios Publishing. It hasn't had the best run with Japanese teams, epitomized with the infamous Scalebound project with PlatinumGames, which was canceled after failing to meet expectations. And as seen with its upcoming Dontnod collaboration, increased publishing output could further welcome Asian content.

"That is one of the reasons that we have a publishing team. So that it lets us work with developers who wish to remain independent, but we can still bring that content exclusive to Xbox. 'Tell Me Why' by Dontnod is a great example of that. That is a first-party game. It was a game that's being done under the Xbox Game Studios umbrella. It's just that we're working with Dontnod to develop it, but it will be exclusive to Xbox, it is an Xbox Game Studios game."

"If you've got bigger developers, particularly in other countries outside the U.S. and outside the UK, where even acquisition might not even be a possibility, but we want to work with them, that's where publishing is a great tool for us."

How Xbox Game Pass is evolving the creative process

Xbox Game Studios has grown in parallel to Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass subscription, increasingly core to its supporting software and services. Over 100 games for a flat monthly fee provides an enticing Netflix-style proposition, inclusive of all first-party titles on launch day, extending to third-party deals. It lies central to modern
Xbox One marketing, shaking up digital distribution with recurring revenue streams, while further supported by traditional game sales.

The push for Xbox Game Pass also brings an internal shift to development, as Microsoft sets out to draw players with a high-value proposal, securing regular income from those who stay. And according to the Xbox Game Studios lead, it allows Microsoft to evolve its approach to design, alleviating pressure to shoehorn services that support their lifetime. The concept could let titles be self-sustainable from launch, rather than designed around drawing additional spending.

"Because Game Pass is a service itself, and it is a community itself, we don't need the game to do all that. So when we sit down to make a game, they don't have to think, 'How is this game going to be an ongoing service? How do I design a game that can run for two to three years? What is the monetization method?' Game Pass provides all that. So the game team can just focus on what is the game going to be."

Booty expands, attributing an increased line of self-contained or smaller-scale experiences to the support of Xbox Game Pass. "That's why you can see games like Grounded or The Outer Worlds, which are really standalone games that live by themselves, all the way to something like Bleeding Edge. Which if you look at it, really starts to look like a free-to-play game, but we don't have to worry how to solve that free-to-play problem inside of Game Pass."

everwild-reveal-screenshot-4.jpg

Microsoft also advocates for the discoverability Xbox Game Pass offers, promoting regular library additions to users, and pushing titles like Gears 5 to three million users in week one. "Game Pass just brings an audience that is able to discover these games without friction. Whether it's a game like The Outer Worlds or a game like Grounded, those are two great examples from the same studio. If I'm in Game Pass, it's this exact same process for me to get and play both games. And so I think I'm much more likely to try something that I might not have tried before because there's just really no barrier to getting at it."

"I think that we will be doing a share of single-player narrative games"

With Xbox Game Pass steering Microsoft into the next generation, will that backing help the firm take more creative risks? "The amount of risk that goes into things; I would say that creating new IP is always inherently risky," said Booty. That comes after the unveiling of two new Xbox franchises at X019, from Obsidian's Grounded to the mysterious Everwild teaser. Both explore unproven territory under the Xbox Game Studios banner, slated for launch-day Game Pass inclusion.

"It's probably one of the riskiest things about games, and it's part of the industry that I love. But we're in a creative business, and it's the same as music and movies and books. So you're going to take risks, and some things are going to hit and land, and they're going to be great. And some things are going to hit and maybe find a smaller audience. But I think when it comes to taking the risk of coming up with new ideas or a new kind of game, I do think that it opens up some doors for us."

And on reviving those legacy Xbox franchises, think Banjo Kazooie to Perfect Dark, Booty states Microsoft remains open but cautious when revisiting projects. "We've done things like that before with things like Killer Instinct and Crackdown. I think it's interesting sometimes, the nostalgia for a title is maybe bigger than actually— people remember it better than it was, right? But we're lucky to have a big library of IP that we can pull from. And it's something that we're always looking at."

the-outer-worlds-pavarti-companion.jpg

But regardless of new properties, Xbox Game Studios participates in a highly-competitive space. The past few years saw Sony execute the single-player vision to beat, while Nintendo embraced its beloved core series. Microsoft Studios saw its share of successes, though it suffered an identity crisis while chasing services. It's finally back on track with the rebrand. And when asked which philosophies Booty hopes to translate to Xbox Game Studios, he affirmed commitment to narrative-driven single-player entries.

"I think that we will be doing a share of single-player narrative games. I think about some things you mentioned, Uncharted, God of War, right? But again, I'll come back to [that] we are very creator-led, and I think it's going to be up to our studios to decide how much they want to go in a certain direction. Even a game like Halo, which of course has a campaign and has multiplayer, that balance between those two, how much of each comes into the game? It's really up to the Halo team to decide."

Preparing Xbox Game Studios for what comes next

Microsoft is expected to conclude 2020 with the launch of Xbox Project Scarlett, its next-generation console bringing the latest graphical enhancements. Details remain tight outside of promise of up to 8K and 4K 120Hz capabilities, accompanied by hardware-backed ray tracing, and faster solid-state drive storage. But it's not the first hardware upgrade since Xbox One launched in 2013, after the Xbox One X and its mid-generation leap to 4K resolution.

The Xbox One X might lead the console family today, although it launched with a limited games lineup. The only first-party launch title was Super Lucky's Tale, with Forza Motorsport 7 released one month prior. The console otherwise relied heavily on remastered titles. But with Halo Infinite launching beside Project Scarlett, has Microsoft learned the value of first-party over these years?

"I think, obviously, it helps, right? If somebody invests in a new console, they want to know that [there are] great games to play," said Booty. "I think the more that we can show that there's great content, the better. I think an advantage that we've got, is that because we're able to run content across the Xbox family, all the way from Xbox One S to an X, and then up to Scarlett, all of that content will come along. It's why we've invested so much in back [compatibility]."

xbox-project-scarlett-hardware.jpg

Booty also provides his expectations for Xbox Project Scarlett and how those advancements may be reflected across Xbox Game Studios or broader Xbox platform offerings. "I think we're going to hit a point with this generation of consoles coming up, where the technology starts to be more transparent to the player. If you think back to early consoles, there's even the idea of 8-bit graphics. The technology influenced the art style so much that there's this phrase '8-bit graphics' because everything on that console is going to look like that."

With Project Scarlett, "technology starts to be more transparent to the player"

"I think that with Scarlett, we're going to get into a situation where, if you want to go make a photorealistic game, you'll make a photorealistic game. You want to make a game that's heavily stylized, like what we saw with games in our ID@Xbox program like The Artful Escape. If you want to make something that's kind of in between those two like Ori, which is like visually beautiful but represents a more stylized, fantastical reality, great, go make that."

As Microsoft wraps the year, X019 highlighted the product of increased commitment to Xbox Game Studios. It comes as ideal timing, with Project Scarlett primed on the horizon, further elevating hardware offerings, while Project xCloud explores a new avenue in the mobile space. And while Microsoft remains coy on what next-generation platforms will deliver, it's already mapped out a drastically improved roadmap for 2020.
Muita coisa com muito sentido e pé no chão.
Parece que a proposta dessa vez é bastante sólida, infelizmente só saberemos com certeza na E3 2020 se isso é verdade ou um discurso "falar o que querem ouvir".

se oriente doidão

Mil pontos, LOL!
VIP
Reações
Pontos
A Microsoft poderia muito bem comprar a Sega ou a Capcom.
Acho que uma Platinum, From Software com certo cuidado até vai mas as gigantes acredito que só vai ter dor de cabeça. Seria uma boa a abordagem que tiveram no Xbox e X360. A parceria com a Capcom rendeu muita coisa boa no X360 e a com SEGA no Xbox, acho que ambas tem divisões na Europa e isso deve ter ajudado tb.

Craudiao

Ei mãe, 500 pontos!
Reações
Pontos
A Microsoft poderia muito bem comprar a Sega ou a Capcom.
Nem digo comprar, mas imagina uma parceria com a Sega onde ela distribuiria o XBox na asia sobre o nome Sega em troca dela trazer seus títulos apenas para consoles xbox e pc...
Nem que o XBox fosse chamado por lá de Dreamcast 2... kkkk
Acho que as 2 poderia ganhar muito com isso... A oportunidade a Sega voltar para os consoles sem ter que se arriscar em projetar e fabricar um console e a Microsoft entrar no mercado asiático sem ter que sair comprando jogos adoidado para tentar agradar o publico lá...
Mas duvido a Sega querer se aventurar novamente, principalmente que ela parece estar muito bem financeiramente...

LudwigVonMises

Bam-bam-bam
Reações
Pontos
Realmente, a compra de uma empresa japonesa grande pode tava trazer uma série de desafios, jurídicos até, duvido que o governo daquele país autorize.

Eu acho mais viável que a Microsoft separe de 200 a 300 milhões de dólares para fazer parcerias, com jogos exclusivos, e com mais jogos no GamePass.

Batman-X

Bam-bam-bam
Reações
Pontos
Acho que uma Platinum, From Software com certo cuidado até vai mas as gigantes acredito que só vai ter dor de cabeça. Seria uma boa a abordagem que tiveram no Xbox e X360. A parceria com a Capcom rendeu muita coisa boa no X360 e a com SEGA no Xbox, acho que ambas tem divisões na Europa e isso deve ter ajudado tb.

A Platinum seria o meu sonho. Ela só faz jogos divertidos. A jogabilidade que para mim é o que mais conta/importa em um game, eles tiram onda de tão bom que ela fica em seus jogos. Até o Transformers que eles fizeram ficou bom. Ele me divertiu e me prendeu do início ao fim. Jogos como os Bayonetta 1 e 2, MG Rising, Nier 2, Astral Chain, MadWorld, Infinite Space, Vanquish e etc... então nem se fala. Só jogo divertido e viciante que eles fazem.

Sem contar que antes eles faziam parte da Capcom onde fizeram os excelentes OKAMI e Viewtful 1 e 2.

Ultima Edição:

OUTKAST

Mil pontos, LOL!
Reações
Pontos

The head of marketing for Xbox Aaron Greenberg has said that Microsoft is more in favour of letting developers do their own thing now rather than focusing on industry trends like games-as-a-service.

Speaking to Kotaku at the X019 event in London last week, Greenberg said that the Big M isn't alone in having been on a journey of discovery with the business model, as well as saying that there is interest from consumers in both service-based projects and more traditional games.

"Listen, I think the whole industry is on something of a learning curve there with games as a service," Greenberg said.

"For us, we empower our creative teams to go and make the games they want, and so, hey, I think it’s great Rare wanted to create Sea of Thieves and do something new with the 'games as a service' idea, and we fully respect and support them in continuing to do that. But it’s also OK for a game to just be a game – to have a beginning, a middle, and an end – and I think The Outer Worlds and Wasteland 3 are great examples of that. We’ll continue to support teams who want to do that.

"I would never underestimate the power of fans and fan feedback in this, and development teams listen to those folks, so I think we’ll see that pendulum swing back into more of a balanced place. It’s great for us to show a lot of new games at something like this, and among these new titles you can see not everything’s being built as a service. But that said, with some it does make sense, and we’ll continue to support those and support the fans playing those titles."

X019 also saw Microsoft expanding the number of projects available in its Project xCloud streaming service. Studios boss Matt Booty also said that the company is moving away from buying developers, having been on something of a spending spree since E3 2018. The exec also said that the Xbox Game Pass subscription service had removed a degree of risk for developers.

The firm also announced a new project from Dontnod called Tell Me Why, which features a transgender protagonist.

Duralino

Supra-sumo
Reações
Pontos
Espero que usem o mesmo sistema de refrigeração do XBox One X com sua RX580. Mas espero que venha em um gabinete maior e com fonte externa. Igual ao Xbox One original. Mas acho difícil que façam isso. Infelizmente.
Impossível fonte externa, já seria um motivo pros haters começarem a estragar a imagem do console na Internet, a Microsoft tbm deve acabar com as pilhas e o controle ja vir com uma bateria removível de fábrica, quem quiser usar a bateria usa quem quiser usar as pilhas que tem em casa usa, tamanho deve ser o mesmo do xonex, quanto menor e mais potente for mais as pessoas acham que é um produto super avançado e de qualidade.

AyresMVP

Living is Easy, With Eyes Closed
GOLD
Reações
Pontos

Fonte externa acho difícil. É mais um trambolho pra ter que achar espaço. Eu acho o X perfeito. De um otimo tamanho, bonito, silencioso, sóbrio no rack.

Queria que a Sony fizesse algo assim com o Play5. Esse amontado de camadas que ficou o Ps4 Pro não curti não. Deixo o meu de pé pra ficar menos feio, mas consome mais espaço no rack. Sem contar realmente o barulho do cooler, que me irrita, até com o jogo ligado no meu HT e com 5 caixas de som reproduzindo o jogo.

Enfim, como sempre digo, o que resta pra Sony são seus exclusivos... Ela que não os perca, ou que a Microsoft não apresente coisa melhor em matéria de software. Pq em hardware a Microsoft coloca a Sony no chinelo há uns 3-4 anos fácil, fácil...

Abraços.

Mr Bones

Lenda da internet
GOLD
Reações
Pontos

The head of marketing for Xbox Aaron Greenberg has said that Microsoft is more in favour of letting developers do their own thing now rather than focusing on industry trends like games-as-a-service.

Speaking to Kotaku at the X019 event in London last week, Greenberg said that the Big M isn't alone in having been on a journey of discovery with the business model, as well as saying that there is interest from consumers in both service-based projects and more traditional games.

"Listen, I think the whole industry is on something of a learning curve there with games as a service," Greenberg said.

"For us, we empower our creative teams to go and make the games they want, and so, hey, I think it’s great Rare wanted to create Sea of Thieves and do something new with the 'games as a service' idea, and we fully respect and support them in continuing to do that. But it’s also OK for a game to just be a game – to have a beginning, a middle, and an end – and I think The Outer Worlds and Wasteland 3 are great examples of that. We’ll continue to support teams who want to do that.

"I would never underestimate the power of fans and fan feedback in this, and development teams listen to those folks, so I think we’ll see that pendulum swing back into more of a balanced place. It’s great for us to show a lot of new games at something like this, and among these new titles you can see not everything’s being built as a service. But that said, with some it does make sense, and we’ll continue to support those and support the fans playing those titles."

X019 also saw Microsoft expanding the number of projects available in its Project xCloud streaming service. Studios boss Matt Booty also said that the company is moving away from buying developers, having been on something of a spending spree since E3 2018. The exec also said that the Xbox Game Pass subscription service had removed a degree of risk for developers.

The firm also announced a new project from Dontnod called Tell Me Why, which features a transgender protagonist.
Problema que este cara tem zero credibilidade. Lembro ate hoje ele dizendo que a Microsoft estava no caminho certo depois da revelacao do PS4 em fevereiro de 2013. Nem se ela estivesse no caminho errado poderia ser tão ruim, como foi. Hardware bem mais fraco, polemicas lascadas sobre always on, jogos usados, nenhum dialogo com os fãs, etc... Infelizmente este ai nao saiu junto com Don Matrick... Nao vai fazer falta. Espero que mudem responsavel do markerting do Xbox, para Scarlett. Este cara ai esta muito falho seu desempenho.

E ele com chefe de marketing esta pessimo seu trabalho. Pior marketing que o Xbox ja teve foi com esse cara ai. Mesmo quando tem algo excelente em mãos, a maneira de comunicar tira qualquer chance de criar hype ao Xbox. Parexe ate que esta jogando contra.

Pelo menos tem o chefe dos estúdios XGS, Matt, que merece crédito. Parece bem sensato e pe no chão. Gostei bastante da entrevista dele.

Ultima Edição:

AyresMVP

Living is Easy, With Eyes Closed
GOLD
Reações
Pontos
Quem não tem um xonex não acredita mas ele não faz barulho algum! 0, parece que tá desligado, meu pro parecia um secador de cabelo!

Disseram que o modelo depois do meu, que é o 7215, é silencioso... Mas não sei comparado ao que, ao X com certeza não é! Realmente eu não ouvi pra tecer uma opinião a respeito, mas acho que não tem muito milagre, pois só trocar o cooler para um melhor é algo paliativo...

Pra quem tem interesse veja como é o sistema de ventilação do Pro e do X, no Youtube.

Mr Bones

Lenda da internet
GOLD
Reações
Pontos
Fonte externa acho difícil. É mais um trambolho pra ter que achar espaço. Eu acho o X perfeito. De um otimo tamanho, bonito, silencioso, sóbrio no rack.

Queria que a Sony fizesse algo assim com o Play5. Esse amontado de camadas que ficou o Ps4 Pro não curti não. Deixo o meu de pé pra ficar menos feio, mas consome mais espaço no rack. Sem contar realmente o barulho do cooler, que me irrita, até com o jogo ligado no meu HT e com 5 caixas de som reproduzindo o jogo.

Enfim, como sempre digo, o que resta pra Sony são seus exclusivos... Ela que não os perca, ou que a Microsoft não apresente coisa melhor em matéria de software. Pq em hardware a Microsoft coloca a Sony no chinelo há uns 3-4 anos fácil, fácil...

Abraços.
Eu abriria mao da fonte interna para vir um hardware mais parrudo. A fonte externa permitiria talvez um sistema de resfriamento de menor custo, podendo ter CPU e GPU com clock mais alto, comprometendo menos orçamento, por ser externa.

Mas pelas criticas, acho quase chance zero de ser fonte externa. Vai ser interna mesmo provavelmente.

D

Deleted member 219486

Esse final de geração ta difícil, ter que esperar um ano para vermos coisas bacanas saírem...

Batman-X

Bam-bam-bam
Reações
Pontos
Project Scarlett pode custar US$ 499 e ser quatro vezes mais poderoso que o Xbox One X

O hardware de ambos não será muito diferente. Já foi confirmado que eles usarão processador Zen 2 com oito núcleos e 16 threads, GPU Navi com memória GDDR6, SSD, suporte para ray tracing e retrocompatibilidade com os jogos da geração atual. A Microsoft também já disse que o Project Scarlett usará o SSD como VRAM, dando aos desenvolvedores mais poder e flexibilidade para seus jogos.

D

Deleted member 219486

Project Scarlett pode custar US$ 499 e ser quatro vezes mais poderoso que o Xbox One X

Sou cético em relação a 4x mais poderoso. Se fosse real preferia que a AI e física dos games que evoluíssem em vez de privilegiarem 4K, um upscale de qualidade ta bom porque quem joga em console não fica colado na TV.

Batman-X

Bam-bam-bam
Reações
Pontos
Pois é. Mas na verdade o que é 4x mais potente é o processador. Mas no final o conjunto todo vai apresentar 4x(400%)mais desempenho. A VGA deva ser o dobro(2x, 200%)superior a RX580 presente no Xbox One X. Já a quantidade de memória deva ser 50% superior(caso venha com 18GB de memória). Mas pode vir com 20GB GDDR6 totais. Pois dessa vez vão usar 4GB somente para o SO. Assim sobraria 16GB de memória para ser usada no vídeo(VRAM)e no sistema.

Já teve boatos do PS5 vindo com 24GB de memória totais. Com 20GB GDDR6 + 4GB DDR4(para o SO).

Topo Fundo